WELCOME TO THE HOMEPAGE OF THE PITTSFIELD BUYING CLUB
Here you can buy Maine grown grains, fruits and veggies, meats, cheeses and more.
Scroll about halfway down the page to leave this page visit the homepages/Facebook pages of our local farmers.
Scroll all the way to the bottom to sign up for notifications.
Here's how it works:
We buy healthy, Maine grown food and products (and some bulk and fair trade items, too) to support the health and wholeness of our communities one person and one plate at a time.
Right now, we're in transition, so we're opening the buying window quarterly as we determine how to make this a volunteer club run by club members as opposed to being run by just one person. Watch your email for updates and ways you can volunteer.
Below you'll see who we work with; we're always looking for more farmers and changing as the seasons progress.
Alongside an extensive state-wide list of distributed products, the Pittsfield Buying Club features products directly (PD=Producer
Direct) from our local farmers. Look for these farms first when you shop (click a link to visit your farmer online):
Email us if you're interested in buying in larger quantities than listed.
A Quick HOW-TO for Buyers:
1) When the ordering window opens (you'll know via email), it stays open for one week. It's best to order within the first 24 hours of the posting, check back, and then help others fill splits.
2) You choose your items from the list of available products once the buying window opens. Don't worry if the amount you've chosen does not "fill" a split. We take care of that before ordering.
3) When you choose items from the list, there is no "submit" button. What's in your "basket" is what will be ordered.
4) Sometimes you don't get everything you ordered (remember, this is a seasonal venture and availability comes and goes).
5) Pick-up and pay day is approximately ten days after the buying window opens on a Thursday. This happens at the Farm House at Balfour Farm.
And now, a couple F.A.Q.'s:
What does it cost to be a member?
The buying club is a volunteer-run club in the most informal sense. No one gets paid. We take help when we can get it. That said, it does cost a little to run the club (think packaging, postage, refrigeration, and this fancy software you are reading right now, etc.).
To cover these minimal costs we charge the following:
1) $12 annual fee. This fee goes directly to the Internet Farmers in Portland, a two-man show who work behind the scenes on the software we use. Thus, if you find yourself not interested, do let us know you no longer want to be a member.
2) 5% club fee. We add 5% to your order to cover club costs including refrigeration, packaging, scales, etc. which goes directly to Balfour Farm.
Why didn't my order arrive?
There are several reasons your order or a portion of your order may not arrive. Here are the most common reasons:
1) The item you want may be out of stock, it may have been on sale as a limited quantity and sold out, or the item may have been at the end of its season.
2) Your order, combined with other member orders of the same item, did not "fill a split." Usually, this applies only to Crown of Maine offerings, not PD or "Producer Direct" items. This means, for example, that perhaps 20 of 40 pounds of flour were ordered. The software automatically rescinds these orders if they do not meet the 40 pound minimum.
3) If you ordered a PD - "Producer Direct" - product that didn't arrive, that usually means there were too few items ordered to deliver that order when considering time and cost of transportation.
Want more information? Call Holly at 487-2706 or sign up here: